PragmatIC's technology platform creates a microcircuit that can be easily embedded in any flexible surface.
It enables the introduction of intelligence and interactivity into a wide range of products and applications where the use of silicon chips is impractical.
PragmatIC has developed a unique platform of patented technologies to design and manufacture flexible integrated circuits (FlexICs), which enable the potential for trillions of smart objects that can engage with consumers and their environment.
PragmatIC’s patented suite of technologies overcomes the constraints of conventional electronics, enabling ultra-thin and flexible integrated circuits at significantly lower cost than silicon ICs. PragmatIC’s unique advantage derives from several key innovations:
- Functional electronic materials that are much cheaper than silicon, and able to be formed on flexible plastic substrates in extremely thin films - less than 100nm thick, about 1000 times thinner than a human hair!
- Patterning processes that are able to accurately define features in these thin film materials, also at very fine scale (less than 100nm), but that are dramatically simpler and faster than the processes used in an expensive silicon fabrication plant.
- Novel architectures for transistors (and other key electronic devices) that ensure perfect alignment of all critical device features, even when fabricated on plastic substrates that expand, contract or move during processing.
Seamless fit with everyday objects
- Thinner than a human hair
- Flexible and conformal
- Mostly or completely transparent
Simple to integrate
- No rigid interconnection points
- Compatible with existing pick-and-place attach systems
- Suitable for lamination or high speed transfer
Extremely low cost materials & process
- Less than 1/10th cost of silicon
- Less than 1¢ per circuit for many applications
PragmatIC’s solutions provide the opportunity to add new functionality to items, as well as extending proven applications such as RFID and NFC into mass-market use cases that were previously prohibited by the cost of traditional silicon ICs. PragmatIC’s novel, differentiated products are being adopted by a growing base of global companies across diverse markets, including consumer goods, games, retail, pharmaceutical and security sectors.
PragmatIC is headquartered in Cambridge, UK, with a new billion-unit production facility in Sedgefield ramping up in 2018.